Sat, Oct 28|
Iron Water Ranch
Bring questions! This beginning level animal husbandry class is the perfect confidence builder for newer shepherds who want to learn the best practices for caring for their sheep. Hoof care, general health, and nutrition will be discussed!
Time & Location
Oct 28, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Iron Water Ranch, 35179 Riverside Dr, Albany, OR 97321, USA
About the event
Come join us and learn the best practices for keeping your sheep happy, healthy, and thriving in the Willamette Valley. Our family has been raising sheep since the 1970s. Topics discussed will include:
- Nutrition - local options, how nutrition affects different breeds, different nutritional needs for for different times of the year and different life events (lambing, breeding season)
- Animal Selection - what breed(s) work for your goals, necessary traits vs wants
- How to handle your sheep - how to tip them up to trim feet, how to catch them in pens
- Hoof Management - how to trim feet, what shape is ideal, common hoof problems and how to treat them
- Wool Care - when is the best time to shear, what kind of wool do your sheep grow, what vitamins/minerals might you be missing
- Deworming Practices - what worms do you have, what wormers should you keep on hand, when and how to worm your flock
- Vaccination Procedures - what vaccines do you need, how often, what protocol
- How to Treat Common Issues - a quick review of how to deal with odd problems that may pop up
The course willl be taught by the staff of Iron Water Ranch who have a combined experience of over 60 years in the sheep industry. We want this to be a fun experience and to build your cinfidence in your care of your own flock. Instructors are familiar with multiple breeds of sheep. There will be hands-on experience with live animals, so dress appropriately.
Shepherding 101 Ticket
From $75.00 to $180.00
This is a ticket for our beginning shepherding class.
From $75.00 to $180.00Price optionPriceQuantityTotal